For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, August 17, 2009

First Day of School

This is what Nolan thought of waking up early today....(he was the first one awake, but being the jokester that he is, he was just pretending to snore) Waiting for the BUS...
The bus arrived... and they were loading up. Mia was being a slowpoke and realized she might miss her ride..."Wait for me,Daddy...wait for me!" That "Crazy" Bus Driver...who is also the Principal...(scary isn't it?...Haha)
Six Chili Peppers ready for school...
Mia and Levi's first assignment... matching ABC's.
Don't they look so studious... I just love the way Levi is holding his head like he is thinking so seriously. They are actually doing "big kid" work this year with workbooks and everything!
Garrett's silent reading book... we get to experience a lot of great literature this year,hooray!! Nolan hard at work on his "Pre-Algebra". Mandy and Nate working on their Language Arts assignments...grammar,handwriting,spelling, and journal writing. We are officially back in school as of today. The kids were filled with "antsy" excitement yesterday as we put the finishing touches on the school room and as they got to spend their last day of "freedom". We all awakened ,this morning, with eager anticipation for the work of the day. The kids really did surprise me with their enthusiasm. They were up and dressed in good time; although, they did drag a bit at the beginning. Daddy took them on their official "ride to school" before he hurried out the door to work. The kids always have fun with this event, and even as our oldest becomes a 7th grader this year, he reminded his dad of getting a ride to school. I had wanted to fix a "back to school" fun breakfast, but my time ran out, and we settled for frozen waffles with peanut butter. Our new school schedule seems to be working(today at least), and we all managed to stay on task. The schedule even allows mom to work with all the kids,making rounds and giving help as needed. I have been homeschooling for 7 years now, and I finally have a schedule that is working. Of course, this can all change tomorrow. It promises to be a busy and somewhat chaotic as we work out any kinks. Next week, we will take a week long break to spend our vacation at the beach. One of the joys of homeschooling is a less restrictive calendar, and so we made plans to take this vacation during the "less busy" season. The interesting thing is that a lot of what we are studying will coordinate with our trip. We will enjoy some of the beauty and wonder of God's creation and world, and then we will return refreshed and ready to tackle the remainder of our school year. We are praying for all those teachers,students and parents out there as the new school year gets underway. Happy Schooling!!!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

So glad that you had a good first day! I usually like to start mid-August, but our move slowed me down a bit. We're starting (full-steam) after labor day this year.

Blessings to you!
Sarah

Susan said...

What a handsome crew! Hope their eagerness continues all year. Tyler is doing the same book as Levi and Mia. Have a nice break!

Kim said...

OOOOh...i miss the fun and crazy "S" family. Look at Brad there at his finest...hehehe. I love your 1st day of school tradition...I will for sure be stealing that! Yes, it looks like I am going to home school Vivi Jo Kindergarten along with Max. This was a sudden decision. I have to quickly get busy, we still have a couple of weeks if I can't get the curriculum by next Monday. Will you email me and tell me what you are using for Mia and Levi? I wonder if I can order it online or drive to Dallas and pick up what I need....I hope I can do this...I'm a little nervous but very excited. You're my inspir-aa-tion :-).

Love love and more love to the Chilipepper fam.

LJ said...

What a fun 1st day tradition! :-)
Seeing your homeschool photos makes me really wish I was homeschooling too...a bit jealous. I'm just not smart enough though. :-( Kudos to you and your family!

Jill and Rick said...

Oh just seeing all your kiddos starting school makes me excited for our school year to start! It sounds like you guys are off to a great start. Look forward to reading about your vacation!

Jill