For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, October 6, 2008

A Masterpiece....


Have you ever closely looked at a fine piece of artwork? I took Art History in college, and it changed my perspective on works of Art. I love Art in all its forms. Consider a painting...painters such as DaVinci, Michaelangelo, Monet,Picasso all created many beautiful masterpieces in painting and sculpture. How about a poem... Poets such as Elizabeth Barrett Browning, William Wordsworth, and Robert Frost created masterpieces using their pen. Music... Look at Musicians,singers and songwriters...Classical composers like Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Chopin and Handel all created musical masterpieces with their talents that withstand the changes of time.
Have you ever closely examined a piece of artwork? It is amazing to see all the special details that each artist puts into each piece of his/her work. When I was in college, I worked in the China/Crystal department of a big name store. I loved being there and training in all the different styles and pieces of fine silver,china and crystal. My favorite was Waterford crystal. Each piece,whether it is a vase or a water glass, is hand cut and designed by a "master" artisan. Each piece is lovingly blown and cut to perfection. When you closely examine each piece it shows the love and care if its artist. They are inherently different yet so similar that only the trained eye can see and sense its preciousness. Each piece is delicate, beautiful, and amazing!
Now consider this...
"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

Workmanship... we are God's workmanship...
The greek translation for workmanship is "Poiema", and poiema signifies a work of art or a divine masterpiece...
We aren't just his workmanship. We are his divine masterpiece! He created each one of us for a specific reason, with a specific job in mind for each of us. He designed us, formed us and breathed the breath of life into each of us with the loving precision of a "master artisan"...

So,some questions that I ask myself are these....
1)Do I realize how precious I am to God? 2) Do I honor and serve him everyday...trying to live out the plan he has for my life? 3) Do I realize how precious each of His children(young and old) are to Him? and 4) Do I treat them in the way that we treat fine,precious, priceless pieces of Art...as a True Masterpiece?

No comments: