For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, December 4, 2009

Traditions Continued...

The Boot...
This tradition began back 15 years ago. When Brad and I were first married, we were "country/western" fans. We are both Native Texans, and had dreams of owning a "small spread" one day(my how dreams evolve and change). So, it was natural for our Christmas tree to be a Texas tree(or at least that's how we saw it). When we had completed the decorating, we found that we were lacking a star or any kind of tree topper for that matter. Brad disappeared for a minute and came back with one of my red ropers. We put it on top and it has remained there every year since. This year the kiddos have really been into family history...and one of them asked me,"was that your boot,momma?" ,"yes, I used to wear it dancing with your daddy.", "Were you wearing it the first time you met him?"...I had to think a minute...but you know what, "why yes, it was one of the set of boots I was wearing when I met your dad!"... I hadn't even added that to the "special" meaning of our Christmas boot...Decorating the Texas Tree...reds, blues, silver, cowboy boots, hats, horses...and you can't forget the Chili Peppers....


Watching Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer (a favorite from my childhood)...nothing better than snuggling under a blanket(which the kids had on the couch until done with the snacks), eating popcorn, drinking hot chocolate, and watching a movie...



A New Tradition(at least for us).... A Christmas Play... every year our church puts on a Christmas Dinner Theater... this play shares a special message about the Christmas season. This years theme..."Jesus Loves Fruitcakes" (sharing His love with everyone including your enemies). Two years ago,our family helped with stage decorating and design.Last year, Garrett made his acting debut, and this year Nolan joined in on the fun and started his acting career! We saw their first performance last night, and they were terrific! The play runs through a Sunday afternoon performance.

Nolan is "Daryl with his other brother Daryl" and they are a"down home" kind of family.I am so proud... Garrett is "Willie" and is part of the children's group that puts on a Christmas performance for the people at the retirement home.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

LOVE the tree!!! Thanks for sharing some of your traditions.

Blessings to you!
Sarah

Susan said...

The play looks fun. We may have to see if there are any tickets left for Sunday! I noticed the bags under the tree. Those aren't really Christmas gifts, just little things from China. You guys can open any time! Love your boot! I claim to be a Texan myself!
Susan

Kim said...

Oh Kim, You know I love your Texas tree....and the boot is so Brad....LOL...I absolutely LOVE it!! Great idea and how special that you were wearing it when you first met...oh I bet you could cut-a-rug...and still can :-). Max and Vivi also love the boot! I miss you guys so bad that I am getting a little teary. I hope Feb. is going to work out for everyone.

Love you guys!!!!
Kim

Jean said...

I love you Christmas tree- chili peppers and the boot!! To cute!! The kids in front of the TV with the popcorn looks so nice! I think we are going to have to cuddle with a Christmas movie, too!